It is Salesforce’s 50th release! And to celebrate this milestone, Salesforce has jam packed this release with lots of goodies!
The Lightening experience is the smartest and fastest way to build and customize apps. With more than 200 new and improved features, it promises to deliver your unique business needs in no time.
You ready to read up on the 424 page of Spring 16 release notes?
Just Access the PDF Release Notes
If not, this is your lucky day. I’ve read through most of the notes (boy, it took some time) and here are the Summer 16 highlights. Enjoy!
For Lightening users only:
- Browsers supported – Salesforce has packed a lot of new functionality only available in Lightning Experience and not for those who are still using Salesforce Classic. With Summer 16 release, if you have IE 9-11, you will not be able to use Lightning Experience, but will be redirected to Salesforce Classic instead.
- You can send email through Gmail or Office – You can allow your org to send through either Gmail or Office 365; you can’t select both. This can be enabled via the “Send through External Email Services” screen. You can only enable it for either Gmail or Office 365, not both. Emails sent via Lightning are automatically created in the new Email object and not as a Task.
- View Account Insights by “Enabling Account Insights” on the Account Settings page in Setup and setup account teams by enabling “Account Teams Enabled” on the Account Team Setup page in Setup. Also now just like salesforce Classic, you can browse your external sources from Files home, where you can open, share, and download external files and file references.
- You can now associate a contact with multiple accounts without creating duplicate records. Also you can add default opportunity team to opportunities with the click of a single button without leaving Lightning Experience by clicking Add Default Team on the opportunity team related list.
- Account Autofill – Creating new accounts just got quicker than ever. When reps start typing a company in the Account Name field, we’ll offer up suggestions. Less time entering data—what’s not to love? Also the company Logos are now shown on account records.
- News App – The News app is a one-stop shop where your users can quickly catch up on the latest happenings about the companies and industries that matter most to them.
- Opportunity products – Now you can add products to your opportunities more quickly with most recently used products suggestions and autofill search.
- List Views – Lightning experience now come with filter logic, enhanced list view displays and controls, and auto-complete search as powerful ways to zero in on relevant data.
- Customize Home Page – Lightning App Builder can be used to create custom Home pages that appear for different profiles in your org. Display and organize useful components, and assign different pages to different types of users. You can even create and edit pages for leads, contacts, and other types of records!
- Lightning Voice – Make and Receive Phone Calls Right from Salesforce with just a single click from phone number fields
- Calendar Creation – In seconds, anyone can create a calendar from a standard or custom object by choosing a date field representing data they want to track. The calendar displays data in that field as calendar items which can be further customized.
- Microsoft Integration – In Outlook 2016, Lightning for Outlook now appears as a side panel, which makes the most of vertical space and improves your sales reps’ experience. Sales reps can now relate specific Outlook events to relevant Salesforce records. Stay a step ahead of sync issues and get more details about how the feature is functioning—all from the same page in Salesforce Setup.
Reports and Dashboard Enhancements:
- New Chart Types – some new chart types like funnel, scatter, combo, and cumulative line chart are added to the Lightning experience. Feeds available on Reports and Dashboards to collaborate with others.
- Exporting reports – what a relief! Now you can export reports from both Lightning Experience and Salesforce Classic as Files. Also Mistakes can now be corrected thanks to the Undo and Redo buttons.
- Delete Assets with Child Assets – You can now delete an asset that has child assets, keep in mind that its child assets will no longer be linked to its parent asset.
- Respond Even Faster to Customers with Type Ahead – Email addressing in Case Feed just got faster like Gmail when an agent enters a few letters of a person’s name or email address, Type Ahead automatically suggests matching names and addresses. A new option to attach Knowledge articles to work orders and work order line items lets you incorporate your Knowledge base into your field service process.
- No more ‘View More’ button in your feed – All you are left with is a smooth, continuous flow all the way to the last post.
- “People Who Like This Post” button – Whoa! Just in case you were wondering who liked your post in Lightning Experience. List of URL expanded from – More URLs from 60 to 400 to show previews when you attach a link to a post.
- Spell Correction – When users enter a search term that doesn’t yield results because of incorrect spelling, they see results that match a corrected spelling of the search term
- Inactive Users Show Up in Search Results in Lightning Experience. No more browsing if you need to find an inactive user.
- You can now choose what happens after your process executes a specific action group. Best of all, executing multiple action groups in a single process makes it easy to manage all of your processes for a given object, like a Case, in one place.
- You can now add flows to any Lightning page–App pages, Record pages, and Home pages alike.
- Control Which Users Immediately Switch When Lightning Experience Is Enabled – you get the power to decide who gets immediately switched to the new interface and who stays in Salesforce Classic with the new Switch Users to Lightning Experience option in the Lighting Experience Migration Assistant.
- Edit Objects Directly from the Setup Menu in Lightning Experience. Also now you can see all the custom record pages you’ve created for that object and which record page is active.
Data Import Enhancements:
- Data Import Wizard Enhancements for Matching by External ID – For any object, you can specify an external ID field for the Data Import Wizard to find existing records that match the import data. If your import is adding only new records, the Data Import Wizard ignores the import file rows that contain matching values for the external ID field. Else, the Data Import Wizard uses the import file’s data to update the matching records in Salesforce.
- Also for Data Import Wizard import, the email subject is expanded to include the CSV filename and the number of record rows it contains. Lightning Connect is now called Salesforce Connect
- Generate a temporary identity verification code for users who forgot, lost, or otherwise can’t access the device they usually use for two-factor authentication. Also a new permission lets you delegate some two-factor authentication support tasks to users who aren’t Salesforce admins.
- With the user switcher, users can now easily navigate Salesforce when they have multiple usernames on the same or different Salesforce orgs.
- Maintain Identity Verification on Public or Shared Devices – Now when your users log in to Salesforce and verify their identity on a device that isn’t private, they can help keep your org secure by alerting us.
Deployment and Development:
- Power of Cloning Sandboxes – You can now create a sandbox by cloning an existing sandbox rather than using your production org as your source. Save time by populating any type of sandbox with a previously chosen set of data and metadata.
- Powerful, Accessible Toasts for App- Level messaging – Jazz up your app’s popup messaging with new attributes on the force:showToast API event
- Manage logging easily and view Time zones in Debug Logs – You can now create trace flag types on users, Apex classes, and Apex triggers in one Setup location: the Debug Logs page. Moreover, Debug logs now include time zone information for activity timestamps and exceptions thrown by Visualforce controllers.
- With this release, you can set the page’s title using the title attribute of the <apex:page> tag. And The new Apex Test History page shows all the test results associated with a test run.